- Use your student ID card to borrow books from self service machines or service desks
- Renew items online, under "Library Login"
- Return books at any of our Libraries
- Access our online collections from anywhere at anytime
|Books||14 days (renewable)|
|Audiovisual item||6 hours|
|Books||4 weeks (renewable)|
|Journals||2 weeks (not renewable)|
|Audiovisual item||6 hours|
|Books||8 weeks (renewable)|
|Journals||2 weeks (renewable)|
|Audiovisual item||8 weeks (not renewable)|
High demand items
|Course Reserves||2 hours (3 hours - AV)|
|3-day loan item||3 days (renewable)|
|Books||20c per day|
|Journals||20c per day
|$2 per hour|
|3-day loan||$2 per day|
|Laptop||$2 per hour|
|Interloan||20c per day|
|Thesis||$2 per hour|
|Recalled item||$2 per day|
|Lost item||$80 per item|
Additional borrowing information
If there are no available copies of an item you need, you have two options:
If you want to use the item when it is returned, but do not need it urgently, you can place a hold. As soon as the item becomes available it will be held for you at your home library, for seven days (or three days for 3-Day loan items). You will receive notification when it is available. For further information see the Library Catalogue's instructions for placing a hold.
If you need an item urgently you can recall it. The current borrower will be asked to return it within a week and you will be notified when it is available. 3-Day loan items may not be recalled. For further information see the Library Catalogue's instructions for recalling an item.
If the item is held at another campus library (and is available immediately) you can request intersite delivery.
If the item is not held at Victoria University Library you can request it via our interloan service.
Any item can be recalled if another borrower needs it. The recall notice you receive will tell you the new due date. If you do not return the book by the new date, you will be charged overdue fines at a rate of $2 per day.
You can renew many of our items if you haven't finished with them. However, there are certain circumstances in which an item cannot be renewed. These include:
- Items have a renewal limit - either a certain period of time or a certain number of renewals. You cannot renew an item if to do so would exceed the renewal limit.
- If an item has been recalled or a hold has been placed on it by another patron, you cannot renew the item.
- If you have an overdue recalled item, you cannot renew items, place requests, or borrow any further items until you return the overdue recalled item.
Books, journal articles and DVDs on course reading lists are placed on Course Reserve at the start of each trimester, making them available for in-Library use on short loan (2 hours, in general).
Course reserve search allows you to find material on reserve for your course. You can search by lecturer, department and course code or name.
Booking a course reserve item
You can book a Course Reserve item for a specific time (up to four months ahead), whether or not it is currently checked out. To book an item, first locate it on the Library Catalogue, then:
- Select "Make a Request" in the blue sidebar. You may have to log in.
- Select "Make a future booking" on the next screen.
- Select the appropriate location from the "Pick Up At" dropdown—"Commerce Library", or the appropriate library.
- Select the date and time you wish to reserve the item for.
- Click "Submit" to make your booking.
You can return an item to any of our libraries - you do not have to return it to the library from which it was borrowed.
If the library is not open, After Hours returns slots are available near the entrance at the Kelburn, Architecture and Design, Commerce, Law and W.J. Scott Libraries.
Please note that items returned through the after-hours returns slots will be checked in (and removed from your account) the next day.
All fragile items (like laptops) must be returned to a Service Point and not put in the After Hours returns slots.
You can also post items back to us. Send them to:
Victoria University of Wellington
P O Box 3438
Posted items must be received by us on or before the due date, or overdue fines will be charged.
Text Message Notifications for Holds
You can sign up for Library text messages, free of charge. The Library will send you a text message when an item you have on hold is ready for you to collect or an item you have on loan is recalled.
For more information, or to sign up, login to your account
ULANZ Reciprocal Borrowing
All currently employed staff and currently enrolled students of ULANZ member universities are eligible to borrow in person from any other member university's library.
The following universities are members of ULANZ:
- Auckland University of Technology
- Lincoln University
- Massey University
- University of Canterbury
- University of Otago
- University of Waikato